Explore our promoted experiences
- Vatican and Sistine Chapel tour with transport from Rome to Vatican City
- Skip the lines at the Vatican Museums with a fast-track entrance ticket
- See top Vatican attractions: Gallery of the Tapestries and Gallery of Maps
- Visit the Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica and admire Michelangelo masterpieces like La Pieta
- Upgrade to a full-day tour with an optional lunch, and see the sites of Christian Rome in the afternoon
- Visit Basilica of San Giovanni, the Roman catacombs and Baths of Caracalla (full-day tour only)
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Alight from your coach and skip the line at the Vatican Museums, home to some of the world's most renowned and recognizable artworks. Follow your guide down Guiseppe Momo's bronze spiral staircase to learn about the Flemish tapestries that grace the walls and about how they were based on paintings by students of Raphael, the Renaissance-era painter whose wall frescos of angels and cherubs are also in the museum. Then, head to the Sistine Chapel and admire Michelangelo's famed fresco.
Next, follow on to St. Peter's Basilica to see another Michelangelo masterpiece: his amazing sculpture of La Pieta and discover the history of the church from your guide and hear little-known stories about the building and its construction.
Alternatively, upgrade to a full-day tour which combines the morning with a walking tour of Christian Rome in the afternoon.
Meet the guide and get ready for an engaging tour of Rome, seeing the most legendary Christian landmarks in this city. Stroll around Esquiline Hill, one of the city's famed seven hills, and home to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, a massive church. Then head over to San Giovanni in Laterano, or St. John Lateran, a basilica that is the official church of the pope. Next door take a moment to see the Holy Steps, supposedly the staircase that was part of Pontius Pilate's palace in Jerusalem, which Christ would have walked on for his trial. Today pilgrims ascend the 28 steps on their knees, saying a prayer for each step.
At the top of the steps in the Sancta Sanctorum, or Holy of Holies, a room that was once a depository for some of the holiest relics in Christendom. Objects included the heads of Sts. Peter and Paul, a chunk of wood from the table where the Last Supper was eaten, and the Holy Foreskin, the prepuce of Jesus, which was stolen in 1527 by a marauding German soldier in the Sack of Rome. (It ended up in the medieval hill town of Calcata, just north of the city.)
Later head to the Appian Way, an ancient Roman road to visit some important early Christian churches, including the Chapel of Domine Quo Vadis, which boasts a cemented imprint of the ghost of Christ. Also visit some of the catacombs, burial grounds of the early Christian community. After exploring underground, visit the old spa ruins at the Baths of Caracalla, and then finish your tour with a hotel drop-off or a drop-off in town.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note: This is a Multilingual Tour
- By pre-booking this tour it enables you to skip the long lines (which can take up to two hours) to enter the Vatican Museums.
- Visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security.
- A dress code is required to enter the Vatican Museums and knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. This dress code is strictly enforced and you will be refused entry if you fail to comply with requirements
- Do you cater to wheelchair users? Do you or the Vatican provide wheelchairs? This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible. For your information, Vatican Museums provide wheelchairs free of charge in the main lobby. You can easily pick one up after entrance, before starting your own independent visit. If you are looking for a guided tour with wheelchair access, we recommend booking our private tours so a guide can lead you through the alternate routes.
- This tour is not recommended for people with walking difficulties
- Please note: If St Peter's Basilica cannot be visited because it is closed, you will spend more time in the Vatican Museums
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- OPERATED BY Greenline Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms