Explore our promoted experiences
- Travel along part of the Pony Express trail to Nevada’s oldest city
- Take a ride on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad
- Visit museums and historic mansions, if you wish (own expense)
- Learn about the region’s geology, history and wildlife from a knowledgeable guide
Departure & Return
What To Expect
During the drive, which passes through Carson City, Nevada’s state capital, listen to commentary from your guide about the area’s local animal life, plant life, geology and mining history during the days of the Wild West. Travel along a portion of the old Pony Express, the route from the 1860s that transported mail across the United States, before arriving in Virginia City, which began when the country’s first major silver deposit was discovered.
Hop off the minibus at the Virginia & Truckee Railroad station for your 6.5-mile (10.5-km) round-trip train ride that takes you to the town of Gold Hill and back. During the journey, learn about the history of the railroad, which dates back to 1869. After your train ride, you have about 2.5 hours of free time in Virginia City to spend at your leisure. Explore the historic district, listed on the US National Register of Historic Places, and admire 19th-century buildings that line Main Street like the opera house and historical saloons like the St. Mary in the Mountains Catholic Church. Perhaps check out a museum or two, such as The Way It Was Museum or Mark Twain Museum, or have lunch at a local eatery, such as the Delta Saloon. (All entrance fees, food and drinks are at your own expense.)
At the end of your free time, re-board the minibus for the return drive to South Lake Tahoe, where your day trip ends.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended to bring comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen and a reusable water bottle
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- OPERATED BY Discover Lake Tahoe Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands