- 10-hour tour of the Transfagarasan Highway and Poienari Castle from Brasov
- Travel to dispersed attractions with ease in a climate-controlled vehicle
- Stop at natural gems such as the Balea Lake and Waterfall, and the Vidraru Dam
- Ascend 1,500 steps to Poienari Castle, the former fortress of Vlad the Impaler
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Brasov are included
- Small-group tour limited to 7 people
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
During the 1.5-hour drive to your first stop, your guide provides commentary that details the history of the strategic military route. On arrival at Balea Waterfall, you’ll stop to capture photographs before proceeding to Balea Lake, arguably the most beautiful glacial lake in the Carpathian Mountains.
Revitalize with lunch (own expense) and then wind your way down the Transfagarasan Highway, through Tara Romaneasca, to the Vidaru Dam, a striking man-made dam surrounded by mountains.
Following a 1-hour drive, you’ll arrive at Poienari Castle, the former fortress of Vlad the Impaler. As you ascend 1,500 steps to the castle, your guide encourages you with historical information surrounding the Romanian ruler who inspired the character of Dracula.
At the top, you’ll be rewarded with stunning panoramas and ancient ruins. Then, relax during the 3-hour journey back to your Brasov hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Sturdy hiking footwear recommended
- Minimum booking numbers apply (2 pax). If you would like to join as 1 person please note that the price for 2 is be applicable
- Please note - Access to the citadel is made by climbing the 1,480 concrete stairs
- Small group tour
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- IMPORTANT! When the Transfagarasan road is closed (November 1 - June 30) we drive up to the Balea Waterfall (no visit of Poienari Fortress and Vidradu Dam). If the weather conditions allow, we take the cable car up to the Balea Lake (approx. extra 20 euro/person, includes the cable car ticket for the guide, also). We visit the ruins of the Cistercian Abbey of Carta and the amazing Sambata de Sus Monastery, also.
- The cable car operates at least 10 people. Tourists have priority over freight shipments. No cargo is carried on Fridays , Saturdays and Sundays. In case of adverse weather conditions we do not assume responsibility. In case of technical failure will be refunded the amount paid. Please keep checking tickets. Thank you for understanding. More info: http://balealac.ro/en/balea-lake-balea-waterfall-cablecar/
- POIENARI FORTRESS IS CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Active Travel Day Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands