Venice Lido (Lido di Venezia)
The Lido island’s northern half is home to the Venice Film Festival, a smattering of stylish hotels, the Venice Casino, and a host of restaurants and nightlife spots. Toward the island’s south, an impressive golf course welcomes visitors looking to get out on the green. In the center of the island are two large public beaches perfect for relaxing under the sun along Italy’s Adriatic Sea, and the Gran Viale Santa Maria Elisabetta, a popular destination for shopping, entertainment, and uninterrupted ocean views.
You can use a hop-on-hop-off Venice sightseeing boat tour to visit the Lido, or an Alilaguna boat transportation pass. Otherwise, opt for a private tour of Venice’s outlying islands, including Burano, Murano, Giudecca, and the Lido.
Things to Know Before You Go
Most of the beach is reserved for guests of the Lido hotels; if you are not staying in one of these, head to the public beach at the end of the Gran Viale.
Kids who need a break might enjoy a few hours of outdoor activities and water sports at the Lido beach.
The vaporetto (water bus) services in Venice are all accessible to wheelchair users, though the city itself is a challenge to navigate.
How to Get There
You can reach the Lido by taking the vaporetto from Piazza San Marco that travels up the Grand Canal and getting off at the Santa Maria Elisabetta stop. Alternatively grab a private water taxi.
When to Get There
Venice gets very crowded during the summer months (from June to September), so if you want mild weather and smaller crowds, the best times to visit the area are spring and fall. The annual Venice Film Festival is held from late August to early September.
The Venice Lido Beach
The Lido beaches can be crowded in summer, but the water is clear and gentle due to a number of breakwaters sheltering the shoreline. The beach clubs are elegant and well outfitted, providing everything from “huts”—large cabins with a veranda and an awning—to simple deck chairs and umbrellas.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- San Lazzaro degli Armeni
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)
- Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
- Bridge of Sighs
- St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
- Correr Museum (Museo Correr)
- San Marco Chamber Orchestra (Virtuosi di Venezia)
- Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco)
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- Venice Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo