Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli)
This early Renaissance church was built in the late 15th century to honor of a sacred icon of the Virgin Mary that was said to have performed a number of miracles. Renaissance architect Pietro Lombardo's use of polychrome marble, sculpted pilasters, and ornate reliefs lends a distinct grandeur to the exterior and interior, where the fabled icon still stands proudly on display.
Because of its architectural importance, it's best to visit Santa Maria dei Miracoli as part of a Venice art and architecture private tour. Many private walking tours stop also stop here, along with other famous sights like St. Mark's Basilica, the Doge's Palace, and the Rialto Bridge.
Things to Know Before You Go
Art and architecture tours generally involve some walking, so wear comfortable shoes and a sun hat.
Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli is mostly wheelchair accessible, although the main altar, by Pietro Lombardo, is located up a flight of steps.
Filled with pretty squares and quiet backstreets, the surrounding neighborhood of Cannaregio is one of Venice's most delightful.
If you’re planning to tour the interior of the church, be sure to wear clothing that covers your shoulders and knees.
How to Get There
The Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli is located on the Miracoli Canal at Ponte dei Miracoli. Take vaporetto (water bus) line 1 or 2 from San Marco or the train station down the Grand Canal to the Rialto stop near the Rialto Bridge, then walk north along the Miracoli Canal.
When to Get There
Venice is one of the most popular destinations in Italy, and the city can be especially touristy in summer. Time your visit to late fall or early spring to enjoy the city without the crowds.
It’s said that the pastel-colored marble used for the facade of Santa Maria dei Miracoli was taken from leftover construction materials after the completion of St. Mark's Basilica, also in Venice.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Venice Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Campo San Bartolomeo
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto)
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- Rialto Fish Market (Mercato di Rialto)
- Ca' d'Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia)
- San Marco Chamber Orchestra (Virtuosi di Venezia)
- Hard Rock Cafe Venice
- St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)
- Campo San Luca
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)