Lombrives Cave (Grotte de Lombrives)
Discover why the Lombrives Cave is among the most impressive cave system in Europe, with tunnels stretching across multiple levels, comprising enormous caverns, and filled with pools, rock formations, crystals, and mineral deposits. Highlights include the Cathedral Cave, said to be similar in dimension to Paris’ Notre-Dame Cathedral, and the Rule of Satan Hall, another sprawling cavern.
The guided, 2-hour hikes typically are hosted eight times daily; reservations are recommended, though not required. Book advance tickets online to choose the time best suited for your schedule.
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear sturdy boots and layers of clothing; the cave has uneven levels and the temperature stays at around 55° Fahrenheit (13° Celsius) throughout the year.
Due to its uneven surfaces, the cave is not readily accessible to wheelchair users or those with limited mobility.
The entrance to the cave is steep, and some tours include a ride by small train to the departure point.
Tours are given primarily in French, though some guides speak English.
Photography is allowed on site.
How to Get There
The Lombrives Cave is located in Ussat les Bains, Southwest France. It is roughly a 1.5-hour drive from the nearby hub of Toulouse, along the A66 and N20.
When to Get There
The Lombrives Cave is open each day, including on weekends and public holidays. Opening hours vary day to day, but tend to begin at 10:15am and continue until mid-late afternoon; check the website for specific hours in advance of your trip.
Special Cave Tours
In the summer months take advantage of special tours options: Children’s tours depart Tuesdays–Fridays and nighttime tours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Although not required, advance reservations for these popular tours ensures you won’t be disappointed by a sold-out tour on the day of your trip. Additionally, music-lovers should check the Lombrives Cave calendar, as the location occasionally serves as a performance venue, thanks to its acoustics.
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Cabardès Wine Region
- Carcassonne Castle (Cité de Carcassonne)
- Canal du Midi
- Lastours Castles (Châteaux de Lastours)
- Space City (Cite de l'Espace)
- Toulouse Cathedral (Cathedrale St-Etienne)
- Pont Neuf
- Museum of Augustins (Musée des Augustins)
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade (Notre-Dame de la Daurade)
- Garonne River
- Les Abattoirs Museum
- Place du Capitole
- St. Sernin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Sernin)
- Black Mountains (Montagne Noire)