Les Abattoirs Museum
One of the top contemporary art showcases in the Midi-Pyrénées region, Les Abattoirs opened in the year 2000 after the city’s former municipal slaughterhouses were renovated to create a huge exhibition space. Visitors will find the Modern Capital collection here, which centers on the World War II and post-war periods. More than just a museum, Les Abattoirs functions as a lively local Arts Center and hosts regular concerts, talks, and other events.
Things to know before you go
- Entry to the museum is by paid ticket; get free entry with a Toulouse Pass Tourisme.
- The museum hosts a late night opening every Thursday until 8pm.
- Suitcases and other large luggage items are not permitted.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible.
How to get there
Les Abattoirs Museum is located on the right bank of the River Garonne near the Pont des Catalans bridge. Get easy access to the museum along with other key points in the city with a hop-on-hop-off bus tour. Alternatively you can reach the museum by bike or metro – the closest metro stop is St-Cyprien – République
When to get there
Les Abattoirs Museum is open to the public Wednesday to Sunday, except for select public holidays when it is closed. The museum is very spacious and airy, which makes it a good choice on particularly hot days.
Musée des Augustins
Enjoy a full day of artistic inspiration by following up a trip to Les Abattoirs with a visit to the Musée des Augustins.The collection covers paintings from the 15th century to the present day, plus a fascinating range of Gothic, Romanesque, and Renaissance sculptures – many taken from buildings that once stood in Toulouse.
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Garonne River
- Pont Neuf
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade (Notre-Dame de la Daurade)
- Place du Capitole
- St. Sernin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Sernin)
- Museum of Augustins (Musée des Augustins)
- Toulouse Cathedral (Cathedrale St-Etienne)
- Space City (Cite de l'Espace)
- Fronton Wine Region
- Albi Cathedral
- Toulouse-Lautrec Museum (Musée Toulouse-Lautrec)
- Black Mountains (Montagne Noire)
- Cabardès Wine Region