Kunstmuseum Den Haag
Founded in 1866, Kunstmuseum Den Haag houses a large collection of modern art along with collections dedicated to pottery and glass, prints, fashion, and music. Here you'll find extensive works by the likes of Picasso and Degas, the world's largest collection of Piet Mondrian art, and musical instruments from around the world.
While many people come here to see the 20th-century paintings, there’s also a sublime collection of decorative arts that showcases tulip vases from Delft, intricate dollhouses, and some 50,000 prints by illustrious artists of the last two centuries. Don’t miss the interactive, kid-friendly Wonderkamers exhibition, in which kids effectively become part of a space-age computer game as they explore the gallery. Although this museum is easy to visit independently, it’s also a stop on a few local city tours.
Things to know before you go
- Children under 18 can visit for free and there is discounted admission for students and seniors. Museum card holders pay a small supplement.
- There are three on-site restaurants/cafes.
- The museum is wheelchair-accessible, with loaner wheelchairs available at the front desk.
How to get there
Kunstmuseum Den Haag is located north of the city center. If you're coming from The Hague Central Station, you can take bus #24 towards Kijkduin or tram #16 towards Statenkwartie and get out at the Kunstmuseum/Museon station. Paid street parking is also available in the surrounding neighborhood.
When to get there
Kunstmuseum Den Haag is a year-round attraction, though it’s a good idea to check the website before you visit to find out about any special events and exhibitions. Note that it’s typically closed on Mondays and on Christmas Day.
- The Hague Museum of Photography (Fotomuseum Den Haag)
- Panorama Mesdag
- Noordeinde Palace (Paleis Noordeinde)
- Peace Palace (Vredespaleis)
- Sculptures by the Sea (Museum Beelden aan Zee)
- Prison Gate Museum (Gevangenpoort)
- Escher in Het Paleis (Escher in the Palace)
- SEA LIFE® Scheveningen
- Inner Court & Hall of Knights (Binnenhof & Ridderzaal)
- Square 1813 (Plein 1813)
- The Hague City Hall (Stadhuis)