The Rila Mountains offer outdoor enthusiasts a perfect play land for exploring Bulgaria’s highest mountain. Nestled within the boundaries of National Park Rila, this area is home to the hottest spring in the Balkans, glacial lakes, four nature reserves and endless stretch of scenic landscape. Avid hikers will find easy access to two of Europe’s longest trail routes—the E4 and E8—which pass through some of the Rila Mountains’ 29 peaks. And hikers hoping for a shorter distance can participate in popular one-day excursions, like walks to the Seven Rila Lakes and Mount Musala, which both typically depart from Sofia.
Less intrepid travelers can still enjoy the beauty of this epic mountain range at one of the family-run hotels located in foothill villages like Govedartsi, Mala Tsarkva and Madzhare. Visitors can soak in the medicinal hot mineral waters of Sapareva Banya, a popular public bath, or venture to the Rila Monastery—not only the largest in the country, but also the most-visited site in the nation.
Tours and tickets to Experience Rila Mountains
Should I book Rila Mountains tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Rila Mountains 2021?
What's the best way to experience Rila Mountains?
- Seven Rila Lakes Snowshoe Hike and Thermal Baths Full-Day Tour from Sofia
- Rila Monastery Bike Tour from Sofia
- From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Plovdiv Day Trip
- Private tour: Rila Mountains and The Seven Rila Lakes from Sofia
Things to do near Sofia
- Things to do in Skopje
- Things to do in Pristina
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Thessaloniki
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Brasov
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Istanbul
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Macedonia
- Things to do in Wallachia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast