Buen Pastor Cathedral
Basque architect Manuel de Echave designed the elegant church, while Basque sculptor Eduardo Chillida created the Cross of Peace sculpture that graces its façade. Light streams through numerous remarkable stained-glass windows dappling the interior with intense colors. Another main draw is the palatial 33-feet (10-meter) -high organ, one of the largest in Europe, with over 9,500 pipes.
Buen Pastor figures prominently in most private and small group walking tours that incorporate the city’s most important and romantic places. Enjoy coastal views from María Cristina Bridge, stroll along Concha Beach, and visit the Basilica of Saint Mary. Finish the day at a classic bar in old town, sampling traditional Basque pintxos and drinks. If you are in Bilbao, take a day-trip to San Sebastián.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Buen Pastor Cathedral is an ideal spot for history and architecture buffs.
- Admission is free.
- Remember to wear appropriate dress inside the church (shoulders and knees covered).
- Mass is given in Basque.
How to Get There
Buen Pastor Cathedral is located on Plaza del Buen Pastor in the historic old town of San Sebastián, easy walking distance from the city’s top attractions. Most of the city’s buses stop right out in front, at the Artzain Ona/ Buen Pastor stop. If you are driving, there is parking for a fee at a covered lot off the plaza.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open daily, from morning until evening with about a 4.5-hour break in the middle of the day. Sunday mass is open to tourists. If you are in town during Easter or Christmas, you’ll be in for a special treat, as the festivities are memorable.
Monte Igueldo Just west of town, guarding the entrance of San Sebastián’s La Concha Bay, is not only where slate and sandstone were quareyed to make the city’s most beautiful structures, but it’s a place of great natural beauty. Ascend on foot, by car or funicular to the lookout area for wonderful panoramic views. Afterwards, visit the amusement park to ride bumper cars and a rollercoaster or go for a boat ride in the pond.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Aragón
- La Concha Beach (Playa de la Concha)
- Victoria Eugenia Theatre (Teatro Victoria Eugenia)
- San Sebastian Old Town (Parte Vieja Donostiarra)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución)
- San Telmo Museum (STM)
- Monte Urgull
- San Sebastián Aquarium
- Miramar Palace (Palacio de Miramar)
- Santa Clara Island (Isla de Santa Clara)
- Ondarreta Beach (Playa de Ondarreta)
- Monte Igueldo