St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter) Tours
In the heart of Salzburg’s Old Town, St. Peter’s Abbey (or Stift Sankt Peter) is known for its cemetery and ancient lineage, dating back to the 800s. The Benedictine monastery’s abbey church has a Romanesque structure and lavish rococo interior.
The abbey library is a treasure trove of musical manuscripts, and the abbey also houses a prized collection of artworks, musical instruments and treasures. In the abbey cemetery lie the tombs of Mozart’s beloved sister and the brother of Haydn.
While you’re here, visit the Stiftskeller St. Peter restaurant, in the abbey cellars. Mentioned in a document from the year 803, it is thought to be one of the oldest hostelries in Europe and is an atmospheric choice for a night out in Salzburg.
St. Peter’s is a 10 minute walk from the River Salzach, on the southern edge of the Old Town.
Come along to hear choral vespers on Sundays, musical concerts on Saturdays or services in the Marienkapelle on weekdays.
11 Tours and Activities to Experience St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Grand Salzburg City Tour Including 24-Hour Salzburg Card
- 2-Hour Private Salzburg City Highlights Tour
- Regional Food Tasting Tour in Salzburg
- Original Sound of Music and Historical Walking Tour Combo
Things to do near Salzburg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Regensburg
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria