St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter)
In the heart of Salzburg’s Old Town, St. Peter’s Abbey (or Stift Sankt Peter) is known for its cemetery and ancient lineage, dating back to the 800s. The Benedictine monastery’s abbey church has a Romanesque structure and lavish rococo interior.
The abbey library is a treasure trove of musical manuscripts, and the abbey also houses a prized collection of artworks, musical instruments and treasures. In the abbey cemetery lie the tombs of Mozart’s beloved sister and the brother of Haydn.
While you’re here, visit the Stiftskeller St. Peter restaurant, in the abbey cellars. Mentioned in a document from the year 803, it is thought to be one of the oldest hostelries in Europe and is an atmospheric choice for a night out in Salzburg.
St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter) Tours
What are St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter) hours of operation?
Should I book St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter) 2021?
What's the best way to experience St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter)?
- Original Sound of Music and Historical Walking Tour Combo
- Salzburg Historical Walking Tour
- 2-Hour Private Salzburg City Highlights Tour
- Regional Food Tasting Tour in Salzburg
Things to do near Salzburg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria