Church of Santa Maria della Pace (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pace)
A visit to Santa Maria della Pace is featured in art-themed tours of Rome. Choose a tour that focuses on the life and works of Italy’s greatest artists, Raphael and Caravaggio, and view their greatest works in churches across Rome. Santa Maria della Pace is also included in walking tours that focus on hidden landmarks and off-the-beaten-path sights.
Things to know before you go
- The frescos in the Santa Maria della Pace are a must-see for lovers of Renaissance art.
- The Santa Maria della Pace offers a peaceful break from the hustle of Rome.
- Touring the interior of the church requires navigating several steps so it may be difficult for visitors with physical disabilities.
How to get there
Santa Maria della Pace is located in the heart of central Rome, within walking distance of the Pantheon and Campo de' Fiori. Parking is limited in the historic center of Rome, so it is easiest to get there by foot or bicycle. Barberini is the closest metro stop and public buses will get you closer with stops on Via Giuseppe Zanardelli.
When to get there
Santa Maria della Pace has limited and sporadic opening hours. For your best chance of viewing the interior of the church, visit with a guided tour or consult the Rome Tourist Office for current hours.
Where to See Raphael’s Work in Rome
Alongside Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci, Raphael is widely regarded as one of the three masters of Italian Renaissance art. Raphael’s largest collection of work is in the Vatican, where visitors can tour the frescoed Raphael Rooms, the largest work of his career. You’ll also find his work in the Palazzo Barberini, the Borghese Gallery, and the Church of Sant'Agostino. Don’t miss a visit to Raphael’s tomb inside the Pantheon.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
- Stadium of Domitian (Stadio di Domiziano)
- Palazzo Altemps
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone)
- Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana delle Quattro Fiumi)
- Piazza Navona
- Gladiator Museum
- Basilica di Sant'Agostino
- Pamphilj Palace (Palazzo Pamphilj)
- Madama Palace (Palazzo Madama)
- Church of Saint Louis of the French (Chiesa di San Luigi dei Francesi)
- Chiesa Nuova (Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella)
- Welcome to Rome
- Basilica di Sant'Andrea della Valle
- Leonardo da Vinci Museum (Mostra di Leonardo)