Church of Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Capucchini)
Commissioned in the 1600s by Pope Urban VIII, Capuchin Cardinal Antonio Barberini had the remains of deceased friars exhumed and transferred to the new church's crypt upon its completion. Tour this remarkable crypt as part of a larger crypt-and-catacomb tour—which often include the Domitilla Catacomb and Basilica of San Clemente—to see how the monks transformed the bones into intricate works of art, or on an underground walking tour of Rome.
Things to Know Before You Go
Cover your shoulders and knees when visiting the Church of Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins, a working place of worship.
The church and crypt is not accessible to wheelchairs.
Photography is not allowed inside the crypt.
The crypt may not be suitable for the very young or squeamish.
How to Get There
The Church of Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins is located on Via Veneto, a short walk from Piazza Barberini where a number of buses and the metro line A stop.
When to Get There
The church and crypt are open daily, and it’s best to visit this popular site either early in the morning or late in the afternoon when it’s less crowded.
Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini Beyond The Crypt
Most come to the Church of Immaculate Conception to see its extraordinary crypt, but it's also home to a number of important 17th-century works of art. The most notable are the St. Michael the Archangel altarpiece by Guido Reni, Christ Mocked by Gherardo delle Notti, and Saint Paul Restores Vision by Pietro da Cortona.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Capuchin Crypt (Cripta dei Frati Cappuccini)
- Via Veneto (Via Vittorio Veneto)
- Triton Fountain (Fontana del Tritone)
- Hard Rock Cafe Rome
- Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria)
- Piazza Barberini
- Piazza di Spagna
- Basilica di Sant'Andrea delle Fratte
- Trinità dei Monti
- Barberini Palace (Palazzo Barberini)
- Keats-Shelley House
- Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna)
- Barcaccia Fountain (Fontana della Barcaccia)
- St. Paul's Within the Walls Church (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro le Mura)
- Villa Medici