Nuremberg Old Town (Altstadt)
The city of Nuremberg is one of the most walkable cities in Bavaria, and its second-largest. The old city (Altstadt), which was bombed flat during WWII, has since been completely restored to its original state. Unlike many other German cities rebuilt in the 1950s with ‘modern’ architecture, Nuremberg captured its original, quaint atmosphere during the rebuild — but with beautiful new buildings. Most of the city’s attractions are located in the compact Altstadt, which is located inside the city’s medieval walls.
In the middle of the Altstadt is the central square (Hauptmarkt), home to the Frauenkirche: a 14th-century Gothic church. The Hauptmarkt also has a gorgeous gilded fountain with tiers of figures called the Schöner Brunnen. At noon every day, you can watch the church clock’s figures do a little dance. Be sure to touch the golden ring on the wrought-iron gate for good luck. The Altstadt is rich with restaurants of all calibers: from the humble Donair-kebab to the Michelin-starred, there’s something for every palate.
Tours and tickets to Experience Nuremberg Old Town (Altstadt)
Should I book Nuremberg Old Town (Altstadt) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Nuremberg Old Town (Altstadt) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Nuremberg Old Town (Altstadt)?
- Nuremberg Third Reich and Roman Empire Historical Day Trip
- Private Tour: Nuremberg Sightseeing Including Old Town, Rally Grounds and Nuremberg Courthouse
- Private Tour: Nuremberg Day Trip with Train Transport from Munich
- PRIVATE Nuremberg Highlights Tour
Things to do near Nuremberg
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Regensburg
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Dresden
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Saxony