The castle is among the most important cultural sights in Milan, together with the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie—where Leonardo Da Vinci’sLast Supper is located—and the Cathedral. Lines can be long to enter its museums, so book a skip-the-line tour of this vast complex to avoid a delay at the entrance or join a walking tour of the city that includes stops at some of its most famous monuments and a visit to the castle. Certain parts of the castle, including the crenellated ramparts and the covered "Ghirlanda" passage, are only accessible by private tour.
Recent reviews from experiences in Milan
Things to Know Before You Go
If traveling with kids, consider taking a family-friendly tour of the castle and its museums. Kids especially enjoy the Museum of Musical Instruments and surrounding gardens.
Il Castello Sforzesco is open every day of the week, but the museums inside are closed on Mondays.
The castle is accessible to visitors with limited mobility.
Large bags and backpacks must be checked in the cloakroom at the entrance.
How to Get to There
Castello Sforzesco is in Piazza Castello on the edge of central Milano, which can be reached from Piazza del Duomo and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II by following Via Dante. The three nearest underground metro stops are Cairoli, Lanza, and Cadorna FN.
When to Get There
The museums offer free admission every Tuesday afternoon and the first Sunday of each month, so they’re very busy during those times. Avoid the hassle of the crowds by visiting on weekdays or Saturday.
Artistic Highlights in the Castello Sforzesco Museums
The Museum of Ancient Art holds a number of statues by Michelangelo, including the famousPieta Rondanini. Upstairs, the Pinacoteca is home to a collection of paintings by masters including Titian and Bellini, while the adjacent Museum of Applied Arts and Museum of Musical Instruments are also worth a visit. In addition, there are excellent Egyptian and Prehistoric collections in this large museum complex.
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore)
- Sempione Park (Parco Sempione)
- Codex Atlanticus
- Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio (Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio)
- Ambrosiana Museum and Library (Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana)
- Brera Art Gallery (Pinacoteca di Brera)
- La Triennale Museum (La Triennale di Milano)
- Piazza Mercanti
- La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala)
- San Sepolcro Church (Chiesa di San Sepolcro)
- Bramante Sacristy (Sacrestia del Bramante)
- Leonardo3 Museum
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
- Church of Santa Maria at San Satiro (Chiesa di Santa Maria presso San Satiro)