Milan is known for its urban hustle and bustle, but there are a number peaceful corners of the city worth exploring. If you need a few minutes to regroup during your walking or Segway tour of Milan's most famous sights like the Cathedral (Duomo) and Sforza Castle, take a quick detour to this lovely square where the pace is slower and the crowds thinner.
Things to Know Before You Go
The square is a short walk from the Duomo and there is a wide pedestrian area encircling the center fountain, so perfect for cooling off in the shade for a few minutes with kids.
There is a high curb around the central fountain area that may be hard to manage with a wheelchair or stroller.
There are a number of cafés along the outside of the square that serve snacks and coffee.
How to Get There
Piazza Fontana is located just behind Milan’s Duomo, less than a 5-minute walk from the Piazza del Duomo.
When to Get There
The central fountain in Piazza Fontana has a number of water jets that are street level, ideal for cooling off hands and feet on a hot summer day.
A Violent Past
Piazza Fontana has a violent history that belies its peaceful atmosphere. In 1969, the square was the site of the bombing of the National Agrarian Bank, a domestic terrorist attack that resulted in 17 people killed and scores more injured. A plaque stands in the square in their honor.
- Fidenza Village
- Milan Duomo
- Church of San Bernardino alle Ossa (Santuario di San Bernardino alle Ossa)
- Royal Palace of Milan (Palazzo Reale di Milano)
- Museo del Novecento
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
- Leonardo3 Museum
- Church of Santa Maria at San Satiro (Chiesa di Santa Maria presso San Satiro)
- Piazza Mercanti
- La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala)
- Via della Spiga
- Poldi Pezzoli Museum (Museo Poldi Pezzoli)
- Codex Atlanticus
- Ambrosiana Museum and Library (Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana)
- Quadrilatero d'Oro
- Skip the Line for the Last Supper
- All Milan Skip the Line Tours
- Shopping in Milan
- Milan in 3 Days
- Lake Day Trips from Milan
- Romantic Things To Do in Milan
- Venice Day Trips from Milan
- Top Nightlife Experiences in Milan
- Milan Neighborhood Guide
- Top Parks and Gardens in Milan
- Swiss Alps Tours from Milan
- Milan for Art Lovers