Fethiye Old Town (Paspatur)
Start your walking tour of Fethiye Old Town in the Paspatur bazaar area, where the narrow streets are crammed with small shops, artisan workshops, and cafés. Nearby, Fethiye Fish Market offers an authentic local experience—stroll past stalls laden with fresh-from-the-ocean fish and seafood, then sample it for yourself at one of the market’s many seafood restaurants. Stop by the Fethiye Museum to learn more about the city’s history, then head down to the marina to watch the fishing boats or join a cruise around the Bay of Fethiye on-board a traditional gullet.
Things to know before you go
- Fethiye Old Town is the best place to pick up traditional handicrafts and gifts, as well as sample typical Turkish food.
- The Old Town has a large choice of hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, and cafés.
- Getting around Fethiye Old Town is easiest on foot, but the narrow lanes and cobbled streets can make access tricky in places for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Fethiye’s Old Town takes up roughly the area between Atatürk Caddesi (the main road along the harbor) and Çarşı Caddesi. It’s just a few minutes on foot from the marina and Fethiye’s dolmus (minibus) station.
When to get there
Fethiye is busiest during the summer months of July and August when a steady stream of day-trippers and cruise visitors transform the quiet town into a lively resort. Tuesday is Fethiye’s market day, when a gigantic market stretches along the canal-front at the north of the Old Town.
Other Things to Do in Fethiye
After exploring the Old Town, take a hike up to the Fethiye Rock Tombs, a series of ancient Lycian tombs etched into the cliffs above the town. A short bus or taxi ride takes you to Fethiye’s main beach, Calis Beach, where you can spend the afternoon swimming, sunbathing, or enjoying water sports. Other popular excursions include the nearby village of Oludeniz, famous for its sandy beaches and Blue Lagoon; the Butterfly Valley, a wildlife-filled gorge reachable only by boat; and the old Greek-Christian village of Karakoy, which was abandoned in the 20th century.
- Fethiye Museum (Fethiye Muzesi)
- Fethiye Lycian Stone Sarcophagi
- Gulf of Fethiye (Fethiye Körfezi)
- Fethiye Roman Theater (Telmessos Theatre)
- Calis Beach (Calis Plaji)
- Ölüdeniz Beach and Blue Lagoon
- Gemiler Island (Gemiler Adasi)
- Butterfly Valley (Kelebekler Vadisi)
- Saklikent National Park (Saklikent Milli Parki)
- Patara Beach (Patara Plaji)
- Fethiye Lycian Rock Tombs (Tomb of Amyntas)
- Dalyan Mud Bath