Dijon Ducal Palace (Palais des Ducs et des Etats de Bourgogne)
Former seat of the Dukes of Burgundy, the Dijon Ducal Palace comprises a mix of 15th-century Gothic architecture and later classical design. The grand, beautifully preserved complex is one of the city’s major sightseeing destinations; it looks out onto the Place de la Libération (Dijon’s main public squares) and boasts the lofty Tower of Philippe le Bon, too. Today, the palace hosts Dijon’s City Hall (the Hôtel de Ville) and the Museum of Fine Arts of Dijon (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Dijon).
The Dijon Ducal Palace is included on historic sightseeing tours of Dijon. It’s also easy to plan an independent visit to its museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The palace is also host to the Dijon Tourism Office.
- For those wishing to climb Philippe le Bon Tower (named for a former Burgundian Duke), visits can be booked through the Dijon Tourism Office.
- The Museum of Fine Arts of Dijon and several other areas within the palace are accessible to those with limited mobility.
- The Brasserie des Beaux-Arts, located in the Museum of Fine Arts of Dijon, is open every day except Tuesday, from 8am–9pm.
How to Get There
The Dijon Ducal Palace is located in the heart of Dijon. It’s less than a 15-minute walk, and just a quick taxi trip, from the Gare de Dijon (the city’s major train station). It’s also served by the T1 and T2 trams, and can be reached by bike, too.
When to Get There
The Museum of Fine Arts of Dijon, housed in one of the palace’s wings, is open daily except Tuesday. From October 1–May 31 it’s open from 9:30am–6pm, and from June 1–September 30, it’s open from 10am–6:30pm. Visits to other publicly accessible parts of the palace can be arranged with the Tourism Office; most sections of the City Hall are off-limits to visitors.
Chapelle des Élus One of the architectural highlights of the palace is the Chapelle des Élus, a small chapel known for its elaborate carvings and altar. Visits to the chapel can be arranged with the Tourism Office; it is free to explore.
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes