Pikes Peak Highway
The paved 19-mile (30.5-kilometer) road was built in 1915 and makes Pikes Peak accessible to those who would not normally be able to reach a high-altitude summit. The road also provides access to numerous recreational activities such as fishing, hiking, biking, and boating.xa0 You can visit the peak on a small group tour that departs from Denver and also includes stops to explore the Garden of the Gods and other nearby attractions.
Recent reviews from experiences in Denver
Things to Know Before You Go
- The drive is ideal for outdoor adventure lovers and people who want the summit experience without the mountain climbing.
- Some visitors may suffer from altitude sickness at the summit or along the way.
- There are no gas stations along the highway so fuel up in Colorado Springs.
- Driving the Pikes Peak Highway takes around 2 to 3 hours round trip.
- Bring a jacket for the cold temperatures at the summit.
How to Get There
The entrance to the Pikes Peak Highway is west of Colorado Springs and a half-hour south of Denver. It takes about an hour to drive to the start of the highway from the Denver International Airport. If you want to focus on the scenery rather than the road, join a tour that does the driving for you.
When to Get There
The Pikes Peak Highway is open year-round, snow conditions permitting. The road is gated and the hours when it is open vary based on the season so call ahead to check the current hours and road conditions. Weather on the mountain is erratic and can be different at the base than at the summit. Ranger-led interpretive discussions are offered in the summer.
Activities along Pikes Peak Highway Visiting Pikes Peak is about much more than just the drive. You can stop to fish at one of the three reservoirs on the mountain (boat rentals are available) or explore the mountain’s many trails. If you are feeling ambitious, hike or cycle to the summit and reward yourself with high-altitude doughnuts at the Summit House.
- Things to do in Colorado
- Things to do in Fort Collins
- Things to do in Breckenridge
- Things to do in Colorado Springs
- Things to do in Vail
- Things to do in Aspen
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Utah
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Missouri
- Garden of the Gods
- United States Air Force Academy
- Pikes Peak
- Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre
- Washington Park
- Denver Botanic Gardens
- Denver Art Museum (DAM)
- Molly Brown House Museum
- Denver Mint
- Colorado State Capitol Building
- Denver Civic Center Park
- Denver Firefighters Museum
- Hard Rock Cafe Denver
- Denver Center for the Performing Arts
- Denver 16th Street Mall