One of the closest coastal resorts to UNESCO–listed Bordeaux, the lively beach town of Arcachon is famous for its plump, fresh Pacific oysters. Here are a few ways to explore the sun-drenched shores of the Côte d’Argent and savor the seafood flavors the locals love.
Bordeaux’s main shopping street stretches 1.2 km (0.7 miles) through the city center and is one of the longest pedestrianized shopping streets in Europe, only beaten by Strøget in Copenhagen and ul. Knyaz Alexander I in Bulgaria’s second city Plovdiv. It is bookended by the Place de la Comédie in the north, which is home to the city’s Neo-Classical Grand Theater, and the Place de la Victoire in the south, dominated by a pink marble obelisk and an 18th-century triumphal arch that marks the position of the city’s original gates.
Narrow and lined with majestic four-story townhouses, Rue Sainte-Catherine is a mecca for international, big-name and mid-range brands such as Zara, H&M and the Czech shoe chain Bata. There’s an Apple Store and a vast outpost of FNAC for DVDs, mobiles and kids’ toys, but the biggest draw along the street is the branch of Paris’s glamorous Galleries Lafayette, which sells everything from high-end designer fashion to gourmet olive oils. Another highlight is the elegant glass-roofed Galerie Bordelaise shopping arcade near the intersection with rue de la Porte Dijeaux; opened in 1837, this is a treasure trove of chic cafés and small, independent boutiques.
Visiting during the annual sales – usually lasting through January and February – may well turn up some real bargains in the 250 stores along Rue Sainte-Catherine and the network of little streets that dive off it. By night the street hums to the sound of happy diners enjoying late suppers in the many restaurants scattered along its length.
Take Tram B to Place de la Victoire.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Grand Theatre
- Port of Bordeaux
- Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Quai Louis XVIII
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Place Gambetta
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Porte Cailhau
- Port of the Moon (Port de la Lune)
- Museum of Aquitaine (Musée d'Aquitaine)
- Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux)
- Grosse Cloche
- Porte de Bourgogne