Visitors enter the museum space (one of the largest in Spain) down an impressive 5-story winding staircase that ends at an Amazonian tree standing 98 feet (30 meters) tall. One of the most notable exhibits is the Flooded Forest, a replica of a tropical rain forest ecosystem in the Amazon with over 100 species of plants and animals represented. The Geological Wall features cuts of rock formations from around Spain, and topics such as evolution, intelligence, and physics can be explored in the Hall of Matter.
While CosmoCaixa doesn’t feature on many guided tours, it is usually an option on multi-day sightseeing passes, which offer discounted entry at places such as the FC Barcelona Museum, Poble Espanyol, CaixaForum, and Gaudí’s Casa Batlló and La Pedrera.
Things to Know Before You Go
CosmoCaixa is popular with families traveling with kids.
CosmoCaixa is wheelchair-accessible, and wheelchairs are available to rent from the main information desk.
Some interactive exhibits, including the planetarium, cost extra.
How to Get There
The CosmoCaixa museum is located at Calle Isaac Newton 26. The nearest metro stop is Avinguda del Tibidabo, or alternatively, several bus lines will take you there.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily from 10am to 8pm. It’s a bit off the radar for most visitors, and therefore rarely crowded—a good option for a rainy day or hot summer afternoon.
Architecture of CosmoCaixa
It’s worth stopping by this Barcelona museum for its architecture alone. Designed by Josep Domènech i Estapà and built between 1904 and 1909, it’s an example of Barcelona’s modernista architecture that many visitors overlook.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Torre Bellesguard
- Tibidabo Amusement Park (Parc d'Atraccions Tibidabo)
- Mt. Tibidabo
- Collserola Tower (Torre de Collserola)
- Gaudí Experience (Gaudí Experiencia)
- Park Güell
- Casa Vicens
- Gaudí House Museum (Casa Museu Gaudí)
- Otto Zutz Club
- Royal Monastery of St. Mary of Pedralbes (Monestir de Pedralbes)
- Milà House (Casa Milà)
- Labyrinth Park of Horta (Parc del Laberint d'Horta)
- Egyptian Museum of Barcelona (Museu Egipci de Barcelona)