Sun-kissed Barceloneta is the nearest beach to Barcelona city center. Many visitors explore the waterfront as part of bike, Segway, or self-guided three-wheel GoCar tours. Sailing tours, speedboat excursions, and catamaran cruises from Barcelona also float past Barceloneta Beach and nearby Port Vell. Other water-based tours include activities such as jet-skiing and parasailing, while helicopter tours fly over the sands.
Architecture tours also make stops in the Barceloneta neighborhood, at landmarks such as the iconic sail-shaped waterfront W Hotel, the sustainable market of La Barceloneta, and the eye-catching Torre Mare Nostrum skyscraper.
Things to Know Before You Go
Barceloneta is a must-visit for sunseekers and beach lovers.
Bring sunscreen as the sun’s rays can be very strong, especially in summer.
Barceloneta’s beachside promenade, Paseo Maritimo de la Barceloneta, is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Take the yellow metro line to the Barceloneta stop. Alternatively, it’s possible to walk: From the southern end of Las Ramblas, the beach is just 20 minutes away on foot.
When to Get There
Barceloneta Beach is at its most atmospheric during summer, when sun-worshippers come here in droves to take advantage of the warm weather. Time your visit to coincide with the end of the day and sip a sangria by the waterfront while watching the spectacular sunset.
Public Artworks at Barceloneta
As well as presenting ample people-watching opportunities, Barceloneta is also a good place to view art, including several notable pieces commissioned during the run-up to the 1992 Olympics. Look for Frank Gehry’s 183-foot-long (56-meter-long) El Peix sculpture, which resembles a giant copper-colored fish, and Rebecca Horn’s crookedL'Estel Ferit (The Wounded Shooting Star, aka Homage to Barceloneta), inspired by the shacks that once lined the Barceloneta seafront.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- History Museum of Catalonia (Museu d'Historia de Catalunya)
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Barcelona Aquarium (L'Aquàrium Barcelona)
- Barcelona Zoo
- El Born
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- Ciutat Vella (Old Town)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)